Monday, May 5, 2008

Adventures in Babysitting

I don't have children. I don't want any. But, I absolutely adore my nieces. So, I was delighted when asked to babysit them for four days while their parents went on their first adults-only vacation since having children. S is four and a half and R is two and a half. They're both at really fun ages.

A couple weeks before the babysitting gig, I was running errands and spotted something I'd never seen in a store before: twisty balloons! You know, the long, thin ones you use to make balloon animals. I just had to get them.

I googled balloon animals and found a site that has videos showing how to make them. V laughed at me. But it's a month later and she's still enjoying her balloon frog.

It turns out that having children is a memory trip. The girls did things I remember doing when I was their age. More than that, I felt like I felt when I did them at their age.

When I dressed R in the mornings, I rolled up her socks and stretched them open with my index fingers so she could get them on easily. It seemed the obvious thing to do. I sat on the floor, she would stand and hold my shoulder, then lift her foot to put the sock on. I had a flashback to my mom putting my socks on that way. Then I remembered what it felt like to be two and have my socks put on. I wasn't imagining what it would be like. I was remembering what it was like. Wow.

The same thing happened when I pushed S on the swing and she tried to swing higher than her shadow. It happened again when she finished her bath. I opened the drain and she covered it with her little fingers and laughed while she tried to stop the water from getting away. It was so much fun. And it was nostalgic. But nostalgia was just the bridge to re-experiencing my youth. It was wonderful.

R makes the happiest sound I've ever heard. I wish I had a recording of it so I could put it on my mp3 player and listen to it whenever I want. You know those moments when you have a realization of something good, or you notice something new that delights you so much you can't be silent and you kind of go "Oh!" When that happens to R, her face brightens, she raises her hands, and she makes a lilting "Ah!" sound. It's a sound of discovery and joy that's childlike pure and makes me feel as joyful as she does. I love that sound!

And now for some practical advice. If you are inexperienced with children and find yourself babysitting, here are some things that will help.

It's important to know how much liquid a diaper will hold. Do a test if you need to. Take a measuring cup of water and fill the diaper. Subtract 10%. Then, schedule the diaper changes and drinks accordingly. You do not want to find yourself with an overflowing diaper in a car seat. Trust me. You really don't.

Parents are diligent about their children's diets. As an uncle or aunt you are allowed, nay required, to take liberties. The children will be missing their parents. They will need comforting and comfort foods. Indulge them. Also, try to ease up on the fiber and encourage more cheese. The kids will love it, and you will have fewer and more manageable poops to deal with. There is time for fiber once the parents return.

Learn a skill that you can have fun with and that can also be used as a distraction if needed. I learned to make balloon animals. The kids loved it. I loved it. Heck, everyone loved it. Even their dad ... until he realized that I had raised the bar and the kids might want more balloon animals after I left. Whoops! I hadn't considered the aftermath of being the best uncle ever. Buwaaaahahahaha!

I love being Uncle Rex.

No comments: